Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Bike saddle rant and yet another REI review; Returns at REI

Those other reviews are fakes

No one that I've spoken to likes this seat. Our problem: we have two sit bones and the seat is almost flat in the areas where contact occurs. That means this saddle is quite tolerable for short rides but nothing beyond that. Maybe those other reviews aren't fakes--they just didn't get far enough to discover the uncomfortable truth. $59.00 for this? Let's move the decimal point over to the left a couple places: $59.00 >>$0.59

Is REI getting more judgmental in their returns department?  Am I reading too much in their facial expressions?  
"Man this guy doesn't buy anything here. He just brings stuff back."   
"He gets most of it delivered to his house or he goes down to Portland to pick it up tax free."  
Are they just trying to be helpful when saying "we can adjust the handlebars on the bicycle you are returning."?  Maybe it's just me.  After all, I did return a $715 bicycle which I didn't find entirely comfortable due to its horrible stock saddle, a WTB Pure saddle and a low position on the handlebars.  More cogently, I didn't have much room for another bike.  The Novara Safari wouldn't have filled a niche that I needed filled. My Giant OCR Touring bike can take fat tires up to 38 mm.  The Safari isn't really that heavy--I just don't need another bicycle with which I'm not totally in love.

I also returned $270 worth of bike shoes that just didn't fit well or were too heavy for a bike shoe.  I kept the Shimano R065 road shoes--they weigh 20 oz per pair in size 46--just right for Goldilocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment