Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Tennis progress today

Focus on:

Watching the ball. Using one tip on watching the ball from Fundamental Tennis Why you keep framing your shots and how to fix it I say out loud, "one" when the other player/ball machine hits the ball, "two" when the ball crosses the net. "three" when the ball hits the ground, "hit" when I hit the ball. 

Seems to work really well for my volley "one, two, hit". Setup: Hitting volleys at sideline with target: opposite sideline 6-10' from the net. I had the camera record where the ball went--if I know I can see the ball going in/out later, I can focus more on ball impact.  "one, two, hit." Here's a few seconds of that video. I did miss about 7 of 44 balls.

The ball landing on opposite side of court


Almost a view of me hitting. A view of the ball landing

Focus on:

The kick serve.  Video from Crunch Time Coaching  

A really good video and I've watched a bunch! Pete helped me understand at 18:00 that the goal of the serve is top spin and a high bounce. A high speed serve isn't the main goal. I really started using my legs to enhance the spin today. I didn't shoot any video;  I put in a fresh battery and misread its energy level as zero. 

Focus on topspin: 

Many parts of both backhand and forehand. keep the grip relaxed. low to high swing path, have the backswing done by the time the ball bounces. the leading shoulder hides the chest from the ball. Non racket hand up and parallel to net to keep from turning early. racket lag. keep my distance from the ball (video link from Jeremy at Fundamental Tennis)

Backspin video. Trying to do it right

I wish I had a program that could show it in slo mo.
I do. It's Filmora9. right click on video on the track at the bottom and choose "speed and duration" see track below.


No comments:

Post a Comment