Wednesday, October 28, 2020

OH, OH. Tennis nut.

The last time I played competitively: 1971? 72? at Garside Junior High School in Las Vegas, Nevada.. . Wish I could remember more details, like teammates, what racquet I used, etc. The coach Jensen took us around town to play other teams. We played hard, won hard, lost hard. Overall, we had the best time. 

My brother Tom started hitting balls 2-3 years ago. Last fall 2019, on a visit to Vegas, I bought a $20 racquet (a cheap light racquet for beginners) and hit some balls with him.. I hit right handed, but a bike accident a few months earlier made me hit left handed.  I gave the racquet to Tom just before leaving Vegas. Next visit to Vegas, I bought another cheap racquet. Gave that racquet to Tom (he then gives the racquets to people he teaches--not that he's that good; he's just a nice guy) 

At the House of Tennis in Vegas I bought a Yonex Ezone 98 for $135 (ouch! closeout price, new cost $229). 11 months in, I finally broke a string. I made a mistake by cutting away only the cross strings. The racquet could have collapsed except for the low tension in the remaining main strings. Having bought a stringing machine (Klippermate) I replaced the strings. I decided to replace the strings regularly (3 months) or on a 10-15% reduction in string tension per a string tension tester.

YouTube is my teacher. Channels: Essential Tennis, Feel Tennis Instruction, Fundamental Tennis. Often played at 1.25 or 1.5 speed. I'm learning to use my core to lead the arm and racquet. I've tuned the forehand some and I enjoy hitting the twohanded backhand. Learning to hit serves, both slice and kick, with the help of the video, but putting in mindful repetition is the only thing that really helps me progress.

 A Lobster Elite Liberty ($949! ouch) tennis ball machine is my playing partner. I got it before the introduction of a competitor, the Slingerbag at $600 or so.  I'm not really ready to play other people as I get more experience hitting balls, learning to watch the ball and learning to gauge force of impact and racquet face angle.


No comments:

Post a Comment