Sunday, September 24, 2017

Bike Friday Pakit review


  • Bike Friday Pakit review



I bought the Pakit from Bike Friday (BF) in a kickstarter campaign.  Its attractions include:  fast, compact fold.  Available motor upgrade for additional $900.  Multiple drivetrain options, including single speed chain all the way to 11 speed Alfine internal gear hub with Gates Carbon belt drive.

The fitting of the bicycle:  They asked my inseam, height and if I liked to ride casual, aggressive or in between.  ON the last question, I answered in-between because I'm no longer the speed animal I used to be.  When the bike arrived, the handlebars were too close to me and I felt inefficient in the more upright position.  The handlebars are OK, but have only one position and the grips are far too small for normal sized hands.  Better to ask about a bike that fit well and try to emulate that fit.

I bought mine with fenders by Planet Bike.  The back fender fit well, but the front needed more work.  The front fender on the Pakit with the bracket installed between the fork and the brake left only 1-2 mm clearance above the tire catching leaves/other debris--I remounted the fender *behind* the fork>a better fit but the mud flap still rides only 20 mm above the ground. The flap may go to my spare parts bin. This Planet Bike front fender looks like one made for recumbents, with the front part cut off.
The fender mounting bracket might need a bend to work more effectively.

This photo doesn't quite show the tight fit of the fender.
POOR FENDER FIT.  Orientation of the photo:  I have the bike up, its front wheel directly above its back wheel, and viewing the area between the brake and the fork.  You can see part of a quarter wedged between the fender bracket and the tire.  The tire rubbed against the fender bracket after riding over a few bumps and wet leaves brought up by the tire did get caught up here.
It fit well for transport in my car trunk and in a Carlton suitcase (similar to Samsonite F'lite) for air transport.

The WTB Volt saddle lacked comfort for me.  I replaced it with my Brooks B17.

Pluses:
  1. The Shimano Alfine 11 speed internally geared hub was delightful to use.
  2. The Gates Carbon Belt Drive was really quiet.  It picked up very little dirt.
  3. The e-assist effectively flattened a 25% grade.
  4. The folding pedal is great.  grips, folds easily.
  5. The ride is very smooth.  Everything fits well.
  6. Good paint job.


Minuses:

  • The gap between first and 2nd gear is big.  Picture going from 2nd to 1st gear and finding you need to spin fast.
  • Expensive, but until supply and demand achieves a more favorable balance, one either waits or pays.
  • The grip on the handlebar fits small hands, only.
  • The handlebar has only one position. If the grip fit my hand better, maybe one would suffice.
  • The rear rack fit well, but normal panniers will scrape the ground on turns due to its low height.
  • Battery placement for e-assisted bikes, as shipped, under the seat, attached to the seat post.  I relocated the battery bag to the main frame tube, closer to the front wheel which has the motor.  Front mounting the battery helps with traction.  
  • Not any 16" tubes/tires will fit.  Those with 349 mm bead diameter fit.
  • The little rubber caps on the stand came off as my heels grazed them in the pedal stroke.  I replaced them with clear tubing.  4th photo below
  • If you have a bike with a saddle you love, think about how little time it actually takes to move it to this bike.  If you don't then try the saddle that came with your BF.  I give a comfort rating for the WTB Volt that came with the bike a 0/4 (4 being best)
  • Front fender fit is poor
Quality issues:
  1. The electric motor system is sold with two Ligo 98wH batteries.  After a week of use, the system shut down whenever I wanted power.  Email exchanges with Justin at Grin Technologies in Canada established that the system would only run properly with three batteries.  BF had no idea until I told them.  I hope they sell this e-assist system with three batteries now.
  2. The hinge below the bottom bracket creaked.   To find that, I sprayed all possible points of movement, including the belt drive, with silicone spray and WD-40.  The bolt on the hinge loosened with casual riding allowing the bike to wobble crazily--two 5 mm hex keys brought it back together.  BF advised use of Loctite red on that bolt.  Some might prefer to acquire their bike through a local bike shop.  
  3. The front fender, mounted on the front side of the fork and behind the brake, didn't really fit.  The mounting bracket rubbed on the tire and the mudflap was really close to the ground.  Since the fender was too long to be mounted on the back side of the fork, I'll need to shorten the fender and either relocate the mounting bracket or the mudflap possibly requiring filing, drilling and riveting work to allow mounting the fender properly.  This is a severe quality issue, if it requires me working on the fender.  If the fork were longer, would it require brakes with longer arms?
  4. The end of the rack contacted the ground if you didn't take care to lift the bike during the folding process.  That's not a cheap rack.
Delivery issues:
  1. It was supposed to be ready in March.  No one called or emailed re: completion of the bicycle .  I called them near the end of May and drove down to pick it up.
  2. I didn't get a refund on shipping for picking up the bike at the factory, until long after I took the bike home.
  3. I felt like I was hustled out when I picked up my bike.  I would have preferred a short ride to ensure that all systems were go--I would have discovered the problem with the fender misfit.



One black rubber end cover for the stand flew off  into bushes near my patio.  I replaced them with clear tubing.

The bike with the rear half folded under and forward.








No comments:

Post a Comment