Monday, November 14, 2016

modifying a pair of REI convertible pants to a hiking kilt for summer hiking.

A hiking kilt/skirt from a pair of REI convertible cargo pants?  Yes, I did it because of crotch humidity.  My best days on the PCT last year were with a single layer below the belt, either my shorts (REI pants with the legs zipped off) or my loose Island print boxer shorts (Patagonia sells the boxer shorts, but not the print)

The boxer shorts:


The converted shorts:


The back side of the converted shorts:


How?
  1. Rip the seams that hold in the zipper.  
  2. Let out the fabric that held the zipper in and sew a rolled hem.  
  3. I was done, but for times when I hike with just that layer,
  4. I sewed the top edge of a 9" x 10" square ripstop patch under the front panel so that it would fall over my private parts like a breech-cloth when I sat down. Picture below.
  5. Later, I installed snaps from the bottom of the zipper to the hem in front.
Keep-outa-jail breech-cloth:


FWIW, the total bottom hem length is about 52". REI cargo shorts have really baggy legs.
Length from waist to bottom hem: 23"--removing the zipper from the cuff and letting out the fabric added 4" as seen by the color change.
On cold mornings I'd pull on a pair of pants or shorts under these and remove them as I warm up.  A pair of baggy butt pants with slim, stretch legs may fit the bill, like maybe RCMP pants or jodhpurs but I might have to make those myself.

The disposition of the pant legs:  They are too baggy to use as pant legs anymore--consumers will put up with bad design.   Ripped apart and sewn together, they may have a life as a new skirt, since the top end is nice and wide like the bottom of the shorts.   The bottom end is narrow, smaller than my waist, nothing that a couple panels of stretch fabric won't fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment