Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Sourdough today and my new fermentation chamber

11 p.m. last night mix
Sourdough
250 g of starter
200 ml of water
310 g white flour
40 g whole wheat flour
Fermented at 105°in my top oven
with the temperature control set to
" click" just above room temperature.
Dough looks like a thick liquid
& might have stuck to the pans if
I'd not sprinkled cornmeal
12 today into oven @450°

 Loaves not very tall.
105°is likely too hot.
Need to control temp better.

My new fermentation chamber
Bought from Home Depot:
  1. Line voltage thermostat $17
  2. outlet boxes and outlet $3
Outlet boxes mounted to cedar board,
Thermostat and outlet wired.
Other materials:
Ice chest, a seedling heat mat, wire, wire nuts.


Awaiting a first trial!

I baked another loaf of bread after proofing for 14 hours at 85 deg using the same proportions as above, yielding another low profile loaf.

Issues?
Too much starter?  The next loaf will use 1/3 the starter.  The starter just provides the yeast.  The less starter I use, the more gluten structure can develop in the dough with the remaining flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment