Monday, August 4, 2014

Enchanted Valley hike

July 9, 2014
John and I set out Monday July 7 at 12 noon.  Only for me to remember 1.5 miles in, that I needed to cancel an appointment I'd made for today at 9 a.m.  Jon gave me the car key--I trotted down the trail, and motored down towards Quinault.  About 10 miles later, I noted a weak but steady cell phone signal over a short strip of road.  I turned back a few yards after the signal disappeared and had enough signal to call.  I returned to the trailhead about 2:15 p.m. and walked briskly, crossing Pony Bridge, Fire Creek, O'Neill Creek Camp, and Noname Creek.  As I approached Pyrite Creek ~10 miles in, I came upon Jon reclining against a tree.

We camped right there.

We entered the Enchanted Valley in the morning, and sat on the porch of the chalet, full sun favoring us.
John sits on the end of the chalet's porch opposite the end that overhangs the river.
Our camp sweet camp.
On the morning we left for home, mist filled the valley.  
A privy can hardly appear more mystical.  Thankfully cameras don't record wicked stench, a surfeit of which the privy enjoyed.
We really didn't believe this sign, so we left our food out on a stump.  Since we heard nothing all night long, we think the food fairy took it.  I have no idea why I was so exhausted in the morning.
We took pictures showing how the river's new course had undermined the Enchanted Valley Chalet:


Below:  I'm stretching my calf--I'm not doing my wimpy best to tip the chalet into the river.  
Uh, this picture shows me stretching my quads and holding the post for balance, not pushing the chalet, right?
Starting the day right.

No comments:

Post a Comment