Tuesday, August 5, 2014

"The vein moved"

Elma.  Red Cross Blood Drive at the Grange.

The Woman couldn't get my blood to flow through the needle.  I looked over and saw her wiggling a size 16 or 18 needle and fixing to push it deeper.

I said, "That hurts.  I don't feel confident about this.  Can you please get some help?"

She called.  Yuriko came.  Woman said, "we need to go deeper."

I said, "Oh, no you don't."

She then said to Yuriko, " the vein moved."

I thought, no, it didn't move, you didn't properly anchor it.  You didn't focus on doing this.  Your mind was off somewhere else.

I said to Yuriko, "I need you to do this."

I have veins like garden hoses.  Yuriko did not miss.  I thanked her.

They took two units of blood, re-infusing my plasma after each unit.  Two Tums calcium tabs before the re-infusions couldn't keep the citrate from chelating enough of my serum Ca making my lips tingle.

No comments:

Post a Comment