Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Garden

The third sunny day of spring finally arrived yesterday in Western Washington, where we get much more than our share of rain. My shaggy lawn commanded me, "Mow. " We did go paddle our kayaks first, but I still had to mow. I had to cut with the lawn mower at its highest setting--meaning I'd have to return again to give it the cut it usually gets. I use an electric mower, which I like better than any gas mower because it's lighter and quieter and needs no maintenance, aside from sharpening the blade. I still hate to cut the lawn, though. If only the moss would take over. I have almost as much moss as grass on my yard, but it still cannot muscle out the grass.

I put in blueberries on my side yard 2 1/2 years ago, laying down weed cloth and bark mulch on top. The grass tried to poke up where I planted the bushes. I stayed ahead of the grass and it hasn't made more than an occasional feeble effort.

It is time to own my yard again. I want to build a raised bed garden to grow food. a deer fence around it. more blueberry bushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment