Thursday, May 26, 2011

Closer to finishing Tern 14 kayak

With only installation of the seat and the back band left. and bulkheads and hatches, which are a pain in the neck. Then gobs of sanding and varnishing. Wish I hadn't bought so much varnish earlier. Possibility of it turning into a wax or solid chunk of organic jelly after so many years in the cans.

In preparing to move the seat forward in the epic, I looked at the kayak hull, noticing severe wear on the cloth. The boat goes up on the rack for repair. Needs new cloth on the bottom. I'm glad Tom Cartmill suggested I move the seat forward. Even though I could see the defect from below the hull, I never thought to check the hull from inside. Defects correspond to two pads of closed cell foam under the seat, which I cannot recall if I placed them. Apparently, abrasion by foam damaged the hull.

The Huki OC1 is ready for paint, but I may just yet be able to figure out how much catalyst to add to the gel coat. Might be able to avoid having to buy topside paint from West Marine. Rudder also is as close to ready as ever, but haven't chopped off the upper rear corner yet.

Seems like only the Pygmy Coho will be ready to race anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment