Thursday, July 22, 2010

Svea 123

What fun! I found a really old Svea 123 backpacking stove in a box. It's about the size of a large can of tomatoes only a bit taller. It was missing one of the pot support wires. I found a short length of 1/8" steel rod, bent it and shoved it in. Then I prepared to fire it up. I poured in an ounce or two of fuel, put the stove in the refrigerator with the valve open, then a bit later, pulled it out and cupped it in my hand. Soon a little fuel flowed up and drooled down into the little depression around the fuel pipe. I closed the valve, lighted the fuel and in a little bit the stove began to hiss. A few seconds later, while the flame was still going, I opened the valve and half a flame came out, striking the dispersing shield.

I ran the stove to empty and removed the burner jet & poked at the orifice with a pin. I added fuel to the tank and fired it up again. This time a full flame blossomed from the jet with the familiar classic motoring noise that every Svea seasoned camper knows. I began the rehabilitation of the stove with a mind to sell it on Ebay, but I just can't sell a piece of backpacking lore. It's really quite small, so I want to keep it.

More information at Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment