Monday, July 19, 2010

Gorge Games outrigger canoe paddling

Great downwind running on Friday. Vern fell out of boat twice--great affinity for the water--I backpaddled until Vern swam up and climbed back on.

Then bought fixin's for salad. lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, walnuts, red peppers, raisins, dressings. brought out my Pugliese bread/butter to go w/Jan's great spaghetti & sauce.

brought out the fiddle to play some Klezmer from book. did the Bach Gavotte in Rondo (don't know anything else, do I?) Played some Joplin rag. Some of our kids played chess. Jon served up some of his home brewed beer.

Saturday. Breakfast of pancakes made by Sue Zimmerman. I threw in blueberries, but forgot to add the walnuts. most xlnt. Wakinikona mixed team race started, then after one lap, returned to dock. Jon Wallace, steersman for my race gave us a prerace talk. I took seat 4 with Bryan Pule, Keka Ichinose, Jason Zimmerman, Mike Anderson in 1,2,3,5 . I am such a sophomore in the OC6. Mike and Jon kept me straight and synchronized. Jon also kept the boat straight. we made the turn from upwind to downwind and cued by Jon, we caught waves and surfed, fast long and hard, passing several boats. Coming upwind again, the Autumn Rose boat caught us, but once again on the downwind leg, we overcame, leaving them behind for good. I'd almost run out of gas, shortly before the last turn. I forgot to take the branched chain amino acids offered by Jon. We did not catch or lose any more places, finishing respectably in the middle. Would do it again today.

Saturday p.m. Dinner by Jason. Stag brand chili from the tin. hm. maybe people under 30 don't cook. I think I did, though. After a few hours, all was still good, when the heartburn had dissipated.

Sunday a.m. breakfast of granola & blueberry cereal. small boat race at 10 all downwind after a traverse to Oregon side of the Columbia. I paddled in the double with Vern in front. We caught some big waves, burying the bow, Vern leaned back, but I didn't see the bow, so I kept paddling hard and fast. Boat would begin to broach on occasion, as the rudder popped out of the water--I corrected using my paddle to poke. Big fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment