Saturday, March 13, 2021

Tennis thoughts: spin and rackets.

 The most astonishing thing about watching the ATP and the WTA is that the players swing their rackets fast and hard, yet without sending the ball long the way we recreational players do. Every single player uses topspin to keep their balls from flying long. So, no topspin=unforced errors=short rallies.

I hit better with the right choice of racket and the right strings at the right tension. I have a Yonex ezone 98 whose grip was built from a 4 to a 5 using a heat shrink wrap. It weighed 12.3 oz. I read a glowing review by the Tennis Warehouse play-testers for a Prince Phantom Pro 100, 11.4 oz. I bought a used one. I began playing with the Prince last week--fewer balls flew long. I felt like I was getting more topspin even though my swing path was proper using the Yonex. Because the racket was less hefty, I was achieving better strokes by initiating with the core, keeping a relaxed grip, letting the racket lag, minding the swing path and angle of the strings. I think having a lighter racket was actually helping me use the its weight to hit the ball. Other factors that might explain the difference between racquets: string tension, my lack of experience with modern technique. Last fall, I bought a $34 racket from Amazon for unknown reasons. Head heavy. 10.5 Oz. I used it last week. Too light, it didn't have enough mass to provide intrinsic power.

Tons of practice swings and tons of hits with a real ball. Mindfulness.

The serve. I'm trying to learn a slice serve, which doesn't require much leg and body motion unlike a kick serve . Things to get right: the toss, the swing path, orienting the string face, a relaxed grip, rotating so as to follow through on the other side, shadow swings, simulating "throwing" the racket. Practicing with the right arm on the deuce side and the left arm on the ad side.

No comments:

Post a Comment