Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Red Cross Blood Drive, Ann Brown, Oldest butterfly swimmer in the county?

Cycling:  I applied the dimple makers in my shorts (the butt bones) to my Brooks leather seat for 30 minutes today riding the rollers while baking bread for John Forrester. I detected faint impressions in the saddle. 

I showered and drove down to the Red Cross Blood Drive at the Elks Club in South Aberdeen. They billed the drive as the Westport blood drive. Hm. Well, Jan Heikkila won't donate until they bring the bloodmobile back to Westport. At the drive, Deanna (name?) a sub-ginormous woman, reeking of tobacco and breath mint did the donor interview with me. I remembered that she didn't excel with the needle on a prior effort. I said, "I don't mean to offend you, but I'd like to have Mariko do my venipuncture." I got my wish and had a smooth donation.

On to Westport Winery where Jeff and Julie Coburn hosted the send-off of his mom, Ann Brown, who'd passed away from cancer two weeks ago.  Once in the door, three science fair boards with photos of Ann showed where she'd been in her life.  That included professional modeling with a stint advertising Boeing 707's in 1970 at the age of 40. A wonderful spread of oysters, stuffed shrimp, marinated mushrooms, cookies, cake beckoned--I took my plate of goodies to a place next to Vern and Jan, who introduced me to more neighbors, Rick and April.  A slide presentation followed. Ann was a live wire!  Fishing, scuba diving, ukulele playing, a post diagnosis trip to Italy and Paris, volunteering at the Union Gospel Mission and the winery. And stories told of language fit for a sailor's bar. The ukulele group played "Freight train" and "You are my Sunshine" Jeff (Coburn) thanked me for coming.  Feeling good, I drove away from the winery, a brilliant rainbow making a full half circle from North to South.  I knew I couldn't enjoy the 'bow while trying to take a picture of it, so I just drove until I had passed through the narrow band of rain that produced it. I felt almost elated.

I brought the bread to John, who opined that the organic food/anti-GMO movements were like religion with outrageous profits for the large corporations.  Sounded about right.  Maybe the better taste of organic foods is a placebo effect.

To the YMCA, where I'd planned to swim a few laps of butterfly drills.  Keith Lyle said he was adding more butterfly drills to his swims. I said I thought he'd be the oldest butterfly swimmer in the county. He didn't say anything about his shoulder holding him back as in past butterfly discussions.  I privately determined that I'd work a bit more on technique, to push him a bit more.
Jamie came to the pool. I watched her swim a few yards of one arm freestyle--I couldn't clam up and made a remark about how she bobbed up to take a breath.  This impulse control issue is outrageous. I hope she wasn't offended.

For the morning, make a flight reservation to Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment