Sunday, October 27, 2013

washing machines

I kick myself......because I left my water on while I road-tripped to Vancouver, BC.  My Kenmore HE4T front loading washing machine had hinted in past weeks that it was doing weird stuff, mainly, leaving water in the bottom of the wash tub.  I came home to find the throw rugs in front of the washing machine almost soaked. and water in the wash tub.  It may go to the landfill, unless someone thinks it has some value and wants to haul it away for free.

I am now in the market.    Hello, consumer reports.

Wait.  Are those user reviews on Consumer Reports website real?  They hate the washing machines rated tops by CR.

Not at Home Depot, though.  Most people favorably reviewed the LG WM3070HWA with 5/5 stars average, but here are some quotes:
  1. But after done,within a few minutes, it leaves a small puddle in front on the floor.  
  2.  It can't seem to handle washing a few towels. Or a blanket. Clothes are fine, its just the bulkier things. It will not spin. It will sit there and try to "re-arrange" the the items.. until it gives up and give u a error message. 
  3. you cant just tell it to spin, you can only do a rinse and spin! Why would I want to re-wet already soaking wet stuff?  
  4. Clothes don't come out smelling very nice. It's a more neutral smell, with arm pit areas still having some body odor.  
10/29 edit:
While surfing the web (mainly amazon.com) I noticed that the best rated washing machines were SpeedQueen brand, made in the USA, with stainless steel tubs, three year warranties and tons of positive reviews.  The SpeedQueen didn't impress the Consumer Reports reviewers who put it near the bottom of its ratings, BUT user reviews on the CR website overwhelmingly loved it.  And, laundromats use that brand of washer, which may say something about their suitability for prolonged service.

This is my Eureka moment.  I'm going to buy a Speed Queen soon.  g'bye Kenmore!!!  (maybe the marketplace will soon bid Sears stores good-bye, too)

My email to Consumer Reports:
First, Thank you for printing User Reviews with each product.  
Second, your reporting on washing machines has really disappointed me.  I am in the market for a new washing machine to replace my Kenmore Elite HE4T front loader which cost me $1200 a while back.  I found by reading user reviews that many of your top rated front loaders have major problems:  circuit board failures, poor cleaning even after 2 and 3 cleaning cycles, inefficient spin cycle which leads to longer dryer times.  My Kenmore has suffered from circuit board death ($400 repair) and now water pools in the tub, dripping onto the floor if I don't turn off the water supply.  
Third, CR reviewers downrated the Speed Queen machine to near the bottom of the list.  User Reviews show exactly the opposite sentiment--people love that it cleans really well, spins the clothes so well that dryer times are reasonable and the cleaning cycle is far shorter than CR's higher rated machines.  
. . . . . . From what I have read in User Reviews, less thorough readers than myself are spending thousands of dollars for troublesome washing machines that don't perform.  Whether or not it is politically correct to state, Consumer Reports has done a severe disservice to its subscribers in its review of clothes washing machines.
. . . . . . Man up and go public.  CR, buy the humble pie and eat it in public.
10/30 edit
Ralph drove Miko and me to J and S appliances in Warrenton, Oregon.  We saw they had brought out a SpeedQueen AWN542 to the front of the store.  Brian the day before had said I'd be getting the AWN412 for $$.  They didn't have the 412 in a box, so they gave me the 542 at no extra charge.  I didn't know what to say beyond, thanks.  It's in my laundry area, ready to be opened.  I've moved the old washer and dryer to the garage for Habitat for Humanity to pick them up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment