Tuesday, September 3, 2013

locks

I bought the re-keying kit at HD.  Disassembled a new double cylinder deadbolt and watched the upper pins and springs fly out when I removed the cylinder from the cylinder housing.  I was relieved to find that the instructions dealt with that.  Put it all back together again.  Took Lydia's old key, but the pins that came with the kit didn't fit.  The kit came with three identical keys that I was to use as keys to rekey up to six locks in Lydia's house, but her house has eight locks.  Well, I was more interested in just re-keying only the new deadbolt to match Lydia's old key, so I went to Andy's Lock & Key to buy some pins.  Re-key done on the deadbolt.

I ordered a Defiant lever entry set for Lydia's house to replace the Schlage knob.  After I get that one in a week or so, I'll re-key that and then return to Andy's for pins to re-key my house.

This was so simple to do.  Instructions are on YouTube.  The locksmith gave me the pins for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment