Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Pickleball then tennis

 1.5 hours of pickleball this am. The whole court is 44' long and 20' wide. 

It's really hard to lob over anyone and not hit long. Should probably practice lobs, but doing it during games and not getting it deep enough invites smash responses. My operating theory for now is to hit them higher and shorter to keep them in. Timing would be a challenge for returning a high lob.

I'm having fun slicing back serves. Many rallies finish as the serving team often hits those into the net. I don't know how I'd handle one of my own returns, as almost no one else does it.

The dink (drop shot) is an art form. It takes serious concentration on the racket-ball contact. A touch deep or high and an opposing player can drive it back for a winner.

The pickleball group here has an aggressive schedule coming up. Three meets in five days.

I don't think it hurts my tennis game. My tennis game has its own load of issues. Ha

Tennis in the pm. Machine balls are easy, if I let myself camp at just the right place so I never have to move. I help myself if I plant myself squarely in front of the machine and skitter back diagonally to hit. I still must consciously tell myself how to do the unit turn. I forgot to check if my chin was on one shoulder to start and the other shoulder after the contact. Having intention for where to hit the ball is easy against the machine, but almost impossible when hitting with another player. Keeping a relaxed grip and a high rear elbow: still a challenge.  Leading with the non-hitting arm: also difficult to remember. Throwing vs pushing the racket: hm.

Had to stop playing tennis after 90 minutes due to mental fatigue--inability to concentrate on technique. This is how beginners and intermediate players struggle to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment