Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Three count for Rowing and swimming

Two days ago, I went to the sculling class at Olympia Rowing.  Instructors watched pupils on the ergometers (Concept rowing machines) and said that the power phase should take 1/3 of the time for the whole stroke.  The recovery phase should take 2/3 of the stroke time.  Short fast recoveries tend to slow the boat down.  The three count for rowing goes thus:  Count "1" for the power phase and count "2,3" for the recovery phase.

Only yesterday had I ever thought about the ratio of time for kick recovery to the time for the power phase of the flutter kick.  Should I apply the time ratio for rowing recovery:rowing power stroke to the flutter kick for backstroke and freestyle?   I already had a clue that I should slow the leg movement in dolphin kick during recovery phase.

Over the last two weeks in the swimming pool, I did drills that I hoped would improve my butterfly stroke, working on
  1. staying low to breathe and 
  2. not going deep when not breathing. 
  3. keeping my hands close to the surface after they re-entered the water.  
  4. using the dolphin kick to more directly improve forward motion rather than to help me get my head high over the water to breathe.  Kicking "back" rather than kicking "down" to the bottom of the pool.
  5. using hip flexion after hand entry to "fall" down and forward. 
  6. trying to time the kick after hand entry
  7. beginning the hand stroke close to the water surface.
  8. sucking in a good breath.
 Also, I didn't know if my feet were just going up and down during flutter kick.  They had to be kicking some water back for me to go anywhere during kick drills.  I'd often see women swimmers who'd seemingly "burn rubber" during flutter kick drills.  I had no idea how they did that.  Maybe I'd go faster if I directed more of the kick toward the back rather than to the pool bottom.  Future pool sessions with mindful kick drills will make lap swimming more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment