Sunday, April 27, 2014

Camping preparation

In preparation for camping, I made patterns from a pair of pants that fit generously, cutting the legs short just above the knees.  I cut gray colored fleece and sewed the pieces together.  A piece of waistband elastic completed the job.  I made custom leg warmers from the same fleece, cutting the fabric without a seam allowance.  I used a seam allowance of 3/8".  I used some 3/4" webbing and a low profile center release buckle to attach each to the underside of shorts in the front of each leg.

Arm warmers also came together from lichen colored fleece.

I made a mitten pattern, producing one gray fleece mitten and a red fleece mitten.  Easy fitting mittens, but the next pair must have palm grips, mitten hooks and different color tops and palms.

I walked downtown with backpack and shorts, legwarmers and arm warmers.  The arm warmers need a 3" extension at the top end.  Leg warmers worked well, and fit well, though a little tight getting on and off over my heel.

The Rayway backpack needs a proper closure for the top, maybe roll top and also needs a frame so that it can carry loads up to 30#.  It also needs a softer padding in the shoulder straps.  Grab loops on the shoulder straps and maybe even sternum straps.

The north section of the Olympic NP Northwest Coast Trail beckons.  Too many appointments this week.  Have to cancel at least one!

No comments:

Post a Comment